Monday, August 27, 2012

Too Blessed to be Stressed!

The title of this post comes from a lady's tote that I saw last week.  It had a picture of 3 women walking into Church, in their Sunday best, and had this quote written across the bottom.

"Too Blessed to be Stressed." How true it is.

As I reflect on this past month, there are so many blessings for others -- and myself -- that I have witnessed. I have endured countless reminders of what I have. I have a functioning brain (...that could be debatable at times, lol), so it was devastating to see so many kids after severe brain injuries, brain surgeries, whatever it was!! How can God let someone live through that??

But it was beautiful... because I got to witness many of them regaining basic abilities that we all take for granted. Some made full recoveries... others were a little slower, taking a couple days to regain a function as simple as lifting their left thumb up.

I have movement in my fingers. I have the ability to walk to an elevator on my lazy days, and up the stairs when I have a little fried cafeteria food to burn off. I have the ability to speak words and sentences to make my wishes and thoughts known -- not always understood, but at least they are out in the open and fair game.

I have my eyesight. A seizure-free life so that I can drive at any moment to go home. The ability to coordinate the activities of chewing and swallowing, so that I don't require a feeding tube, and I can savor the taste of my mom's homemade Indian cooking. I can dance with my friends, sing obnoxiously to a Nicki Minaj song, and contort my face into what must be ridiculous expressions.

I have a home, with an amazingly dedicated, unwavering set of parents. I have a mother and father who are able to speak up for my needs and wants at the moments in life where I haven't been able to... I don't remember everything from when I was 6... but I remember things clearly from when I was 21. The feeling of being so jaded, so limp and lifeless, unable to respond in full sentences and explain how you are truly feeling, even when you are fully conscious of your every breath; the fact that you just want the complications to stop, and for someone to just make the exhaustion and sickness go away.......... you feel helpless. And for a while you are vulnerable, understanding that life isn't all about "independence" the way our American society makes us believe. Rather, it's about your relations with all those around you. Understanding the compromises and sacrifices that must sometimes be made for others -- because perhaps one day, they will be your lifeline. They will love you no matter what. And they will make the right decisions for you so that you can continue, once again, to remind yourself that you are "too blessed to be stressed."

I am not sure, though, if it's fair to even try to relate my situation and experience to those of the children I've seen this month. I am not the 8-year-old child who lost her mother in a car accident, and ended up a quadriplegic as a result. I am not the infant who has clearly been shaken by someone multiple times, to the point that he can no longer grasp onto a caretaker's hand, suck on a pacifier, or cry.

To my friends and family: thank you for always putting up with my nonsense.

I really am trying to remind myself to not be so stressed. Whatever the situation in life, things always work out the way they should.

I hope that all of you can take some time to appreciate all the reasons that you are blessed!

Goodnight, and wishing you all a happier tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment