Monday, September 17, 2012

Chasing the sun

I just returned from Texas yesterday.  People close to me know that I went with a heavy heart... and returned with an even greater weight on my shoulders.  Prior to heading there, I was regretting purchasing my ticket.  It was a rocky situation for a number of reasons -- but in the end was well worth it.

I met new faces.  Saw familiar ones.  In retrospect, it was necessary.  I believe the worst of times often allow you to re-evaluate certain things in life, and make new discoveries.

My conclusion is that this is my year of "discomfort."  People, places, and things that have been a part of us for so long become a comfort, but that doesn't always make it the best for us.  It is never easy thinking that in less than a year, I could be across the country from my parents, when I have never lived more than 1 hour and 10 minutes from them.  It's unnerving playing the waiting game for interviews, thinking about traveling to places I would never otherwise visit... and doing it all alone.  And it always hurts when an unfortunate situation shatters an old friendship.

We have to keep moving, allow ourselves to change, and let go in order to allow EACH OTHER to grow, become a little more confident, and stronger.  Life is ever-evolving, and that is okay... I am okay with it... and I will learn to be 'comfortable with the uncomfortable.'

We may steer our own ship, but God has all the storms written in his book -- we have no control over when and how our lives, surroundings, and relationships with each other could change.  We can only control our response to the situation, and our own beliefs.  For a moment we may be taken off track -- but if we allow ourselves to open the new chapter, only then can we make it through our own life story, and continue to turn the pages, finding the way back to our destination and fate.

I am so grateful to everyone who allowed me the chance to grow on this trip, reflect on life, and shared their own hardships with me.  I now feel more confident that if I have to leave home in the near future, it will be okay.  I am ready, and more willing than ever to step outside my comfort zone into a world of uncertainty.  Perhaps I will fall at times, but I have great friends and a loving family who will listen when the time calls for it.

There is a reason, and a season, for everything in our lives.  A wise physician once told our AMWA group, "You can have everything you want in life....... just not all at the same time."  Truth.  Fact.  Not opinion.  Yes?

As the plane took off from Detroit, it was a gloomy day.  As we ascended through the clouds, we found our way to the sun.  It was gorgeous.  And a great reminder that no matter how dreary life may seem at times, if you allow yourself to be free, to love, and to grow, you will (most certainly) find yourself chasing the sun... and within reach of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment